Welcome to my blog!


I am a lefty. I write vertically, cannot use can-openers and was recently foiled by a right handed ladle (I will have my vengeance...) but more than this, I generally seem to approach life from a different angle. I appreciate that this may have nothing to do with being a lefty and may just be my own dysfunctionallity, but after earning the nickname 'Lefty-Flip' after a frustrating game of Guitar Hero, it seemed an appropriate title for this blog.

Friday 4 May 2012

Conversations with my Mother

I mentioned to my mother that my lawn was getting out of control with all this rain and that I needed to get some kind of garden strimmer to keep it in check.

Mum: Would you not be better off getting a lawnmower?

Me: Where would I keep a lawnmower? Besides the garden is tiny, a strimmer will do won’t it?

Mum: Hold on let me ask your dad (muffled voices during which the phrase ‘what does she need a lawnmower for?’ can be heard loudly) Well dad says a strimmer would be fine, but well… do be careful.

Me: I will, I’m sure they’re not that dangerous

Mum: No, but you need to be extra careful don’t you

Me: I do?

Mum: Yes, what with you being left handed and all.

Me:...?

Mum: Because you are very left handed dear.

Me: Mum I’m sure I can cope with a garden strimmer!

Mum: Sweetheart you say that but you can’t even use a can opener.

I would like to mention at this point that she is in fact correct. Had ring-pull tins not been invented I would be living in a world without alphabet spaghetti.

Me:…Okay I’ll be careful. Bye

Mum: Bye my devil child


Hang on, devil child????? Cheers ma.


Have a good weekend folks, and I’ll try my best not to cut my feet off with a garden strimmer.

2 comments:

  1. Sweet. I genuinely laughed out loud at this.

    I'm a lefty. I can use a tin-opener, but fail at scissors. I think your Mum is probably right about the Strimmer. The fact that they come with safety goggles tells me it's way too risky.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think there's a kind of solidarity amongst us lefties - we like to think we're capable but deep don't know we are easily foiled by the most basic of kitchen utensils!
    funnily enough I cannot use left handed scissors only right!!! Was 12 years before I was introduced to a lefty pair and by then I'd got used to them!

    You may have a point about the strimmer...garden shears maybe?

    ReplyDelete

All sensible comments welcome! Spam will be fried and eaten.